Be the first to know about kaywin latest updates, news, events and more.

How Toxic Is Permanent Marker?

15th Feb 2023

When you write or color on the surface of the skin using permanent markers, you are exposing yourself to the chemical xylene, which can cause allergic reactions, inflammation, and defatting. It can also lead to other health problems.

Sharpies are commonly used to draw on the surface of the skin. Although these markers are generally considered nontoxic, they can still be absorbed by the body through the skin. These markers may contain n-butanol, diacetone alcohol, ethylene glycol mono butyl ether, and cresol.

Some sharpies contain Xylene, which is a toxic chemical. This substance is also found in gasoline, paints, and adhesives. If you inhale xylene vapor, you can experience dizziness, nausea, and headaches. In addition, you might experience weakness, diarrhea, and vomiting.

To ensure that you are not ingesting any harmful ingredients, look for markers that have been certified safe by the ACMI. Typically, these markers will have been tested for safety in inhalation and consumption but have not been tested for body art.

However, not all permanent markers are toxic. At Kaywin, we use safe and nontoxic ink that can even be used by kids. Our markers are safe and don’t contain any harmful ingredients. If you want to stay safe, try Kaywin markers. 

Is Permanent Marker Toxic?

If you have a Sharpie pen or marker, you might be wondering whether or not it’s safe to use it on your skin. Many people consider permanent markers to be harmless. They are also known to be quick-drying and fade-resistant. However, these markers can contain toxic chemicals.

Xylene, a solvent, is found in most permanent markers. It is also present in gasoline. Ingestion of Xylene can lead to damage to the kidney, cardiovascular system, and respiratory system.

Xylene is toxic and can cause inflammation of the skin. Repeated exposure can lead to skin allergies. To avoid Xylene, wear impervious gloves.

Another substance, n-butanol, can also irritate the nose and throat. It may also lead to eye irritation. For this reason, Sharpie pens and markers are not recommended for use on the skin.

Fortunately, markers with the ACMI seal are considered safe for art and ingestion. The ACMI requires markers to be tested for toxicological hazards. But, they have not been tested for body art.

Although alcohol-based markers do not pose the same health risks as Xylene, they still contain toxins. Those who are allergic to ethanol should avoid using this type of marker. Ethyl acetate is a relatively nontoxic organic solvent. It is less toxic than isopropyl alcohol. At Kaywin, we use nontoxic ink in permanent markers. 

Dangers in the Use of Permanent Markers

There are many dangers involved with the use of permanent markers. Some of these include skin irritations, infections, and ink poisoning through the mucous membranes.

  • Skin Irritations and Infections
  • Ink Poisoning Through Mucous Membranes
  • Inhaling The Fumes
  • Allergies and Lung Ailments

How Toxic Is Permanent Marker?

There is a common question about whether permanent markers are toxic. Permanent markers are a common tool in schools, offices, and homes. They are used to make drawings, color pictures, and mark boxes. 

If you are wondering if permanent markers are dangerous, you should know that they can contain compounds such as Xylene, which is a hazardous chemical. Xylene is an organic compound and is used as a solvent in paints and adhesives. It also helps mix paints. 

Most mainstream permanent markers contain Xylene and other harmful compounds. These toxicants can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, nose, and throat. Those who are particularly sensitive to these compounds will also be prone to an allergic reaction. Some of these chemicals can even be carcinogenic, causing cancer. 

If you are not sure about the ingredients of your marker, you should check with the manufacturer. Kaywin markers are generally considered nontoxic. Our markers come with washable or water-soluble ink, which is safe to use.